Joseph J. Scherer, M.D.
Dr. Scherer is a board certified ophthalmologist specializing in advanced cataract and lens implant surgery, and LASIK / refractive surgery. Dr. Scherer provides comprehensive eye care including glaucoma treatment and laser, diabetic eye care and laser, and other retinal eye care. He enjoys teaching surgery to Ophthalmology Residents as a Clinical Instructor at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. Patients often tell him that they appreciate his warm demeanor and his genuine compassion for their well-being.
- University of Pittsburgh Eye & Ear Institute – Ophthalmology Residency
- Hospital of St. Raphael, Major Teaching Affiliate of Yale University School of Medicine – Internship
- Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John’s - M.D.
- State University of New York at Geneseo - B.S.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine – Clinical Instructor
- American Academy of Ophthalmology - Fellow
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Medical Association
- Pittsburgh Ophthalmology Society
- Pennsylvania Medical Society
- Allegheny County Medical Society
Dr. Scherer has been lead author or coauthor for several published articles, including in the American Journal of Ophthalmology and Current Concepts in Ophthalmology. He has presented at ARVO, the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. Dr. Scherer is honored to have participated in surgical ophthalmology mission work in Honduras.
Hospital and Surgical Center Affiliations
- St. Clair Hospital
- Canonsburg General Hospital
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Mt. Lebanon Surgical Center
- UPMC South Surgery Center
- Veterans Affairs Pittsburgh University Drive, for resident teaching
- Peters Township Surgery Center